What Makes A Home Healthy
Home should be a place where you recharge and nurture your health. In today’s blog post, we’ll look at a few ways you can make your home the healthiest place it can be.
The energy efficiency of modern homes may be great for the planet and your budget, but one unintended side effect of insulation is lack of air flow that may contribute to health problems like asthma. Not to worry, this problem can be offset by plants. Plants not only create a welcoming and beautiful visual environment, they also clean the air. NASA recommends 8-10 potted plants for every 100 square feet. Plants also have a mental health benefit—they are proven to help with relaxation and productivity.
Studies have shown repeatedly that furry friends are great for mental health. If you’re considering adding a dog or cat to your home, it’s worth considering the positive impact doing so could have on your psychology. A recent study published in the “Journal of Personality and Social Psychology” examined just how beneficial pets can be. Lead researcher Allen R. McConnell, PhD, of Miami University in Ohio noted. “Specifically, pet owners had greater self-esteem, were more physically fit, tended to be less lonely, were more conscientious, were more extraverted, tended to be less fearful and tended to be less preoccupied than non-owners.”
Get Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that can be deadly if inhaled in substantial amounts. Potential sources of carbon monoxide leaks may be all over your home, including kerosene and gas space heaters, gas water heaters, wood stoves, fireplaces, automobile exhaust, and tobacco smoke. To prevent illness or even death, carbon monoxide detectors should be placed near all bedrooms and checked regularly to make sure they’re in good working order. You’ll also want to make sure your appliances and heating system are serviced regularly to make sure they’re in good working order.
Test Your Home for Lead
If you live in a house that was built before 1978, there’s a good chance your paint contains lead. Lead paint can lead to serious health problems especially for children and pregnant women. Although new lead paint was outlawed in 1978, it’s still present in millions of older homes, often under layers of newer paint. Deteriorating lead paint is a medical hazard and needs immediate attention. Don’t try to remove lead based paint yourself—hire an EPA approved professional.
Mold can trigger respiratory problems and should be regularly removed. Any damp area with poor ventilation in your home likely contains mold, and should be cleaned regularly. A non-ammonia cleaner or dishwashing soap can usually take care of the problem, but for a larger mold issue, you may need to hire a professional. When cleaning mold, you’ll want to wear gloves, a respirator, eye protectants, and clothes that cover your whole body. Mold and spores can be dangerous for your health, so you need to take the appropriate precautions before exposure.
Article contributed by Healthline.com